February 1st, 2018
Fall in Massachusetts is simply smashing, wouldn’t you agree? The colorful leaves provide a beautiful backdrop to a fun and festive time of year. And the crisp air is a welcome relief to the warmer summer months. Apple picking, pumpkin carving, corn mazes, haunted houses, trick or treating, baking, crafting, and so much more fill this special season. While there are countless ways for seniors to enjoy the fall, we’ve picked a few easy fall activities with them in mind.
We Hope You Enjoy These Easy Fall Activities for Seniors!
Toilet Paper Pumpkins
- Fat quarter, or pre-cut piece of fabric
- Toilet paper roll
- Wine cork
Start with one fat quarter, or pre-cut piece of fabric, unfolded with the print facing down. Place a roll of toilet paper in the center of the fabric, then fold the fabric up over the sides of the toilet paper roll, stuffing the fabric into the top of the roll as you go. Once the toilet paper roll is completely covered with fabric, add a leaf and a wine cork to the center of the roll.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Kat’s Maple Applesauce
- 5 medium-sized apples (see note)
- ½ cup water
- 1 T lemon juice
- ¼ t cinnamon
- ⅛ t nutmeg
- 3-4 T pure maple syrup
- 1-2 t maple sugar (optional)
- Core and roughly peel apples. Then cut into even, medium-sized chunks.
- Place apples in a pan with water and lemon juice. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Add spices, maple syrup, and maple sugar (if using).
- Mash with a potato masher if you like your applesauce chunky. Puree with an immersion blender if you prefer it smooth.
Source: MyUntangled Life
Easily Embellish Pumpkins With Ribbon
- pumpkins of various sizes, shapes, and colors
- variety of 3/8″ craft ribbon
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Gather Pumpkins and Ribbon – Choose a variety of differently sized and colored faux or real pumpkins. Select spools of ribbon that are 3/8 inch wide or smaller. The ribbon will be secured in the pumpkins’ grooves, so the smaller the better. Tip: Stick with neutral colors or black-and-white ribbon for a look that can be displayed from early fall through Thanksgiving.
- Apply Glue – Use hot glue to secure one end of a spool of ribbon to the top of a pumpkin, near the base of its stem. Unroll the ribbon all the way down one groove of the pumpkin until it reaches the bottom of the pumpkin.
- Cut Ribbon – Use scissors to cut the ribbon off once you’ve determined the correct length. Hot-glue the end of the ribbon to the bottom side of the pumpkin. Continue adding vertical bands until you’re satisfied with the design.
We’re Here for Your Private Duty Care Needs
The new season is the perfect time of year to reassess the changing needs of Mom and Dad. At Advanced Home Care Services, we are here to help with those needs by providing Massachusetts in-home senior care. Our loving elder care in MA includes heavy chore services, companionship, light housekeeping, shopping, and medication reminders, among other home care services. We’d love to hear from you, so please contact us today to schedule a free in-home senior care consultation. In the meantime, we hope you enjoyed celebrating Grandparents Day and give these easy fall activities for seniors a try.