November 17th, 2017
While we love and appreciate Mom all year, it is only fitting that there’s a day set aside in her honor. This year, Mother’s Day falls on Sunday, May 14th. Through her guiding hand, tender embrace, and understanding ear, Mom offers love and kindness to generations of family members. A lot of folks have special Mother’s Day traditions that they are able to continue year after year. Yet others need to alter or adjust their celebrations to accommodate an aging parent or grandparent. Either way, one thing is for sure. We are here to support you, Mom, and the rest of your family with loving elder care in Massachusetts.
If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.
~ Stevie Wonder
Mother’s Day Activities for Seniors
- Enjoy a Meal – whether you are able to prepare a meal together, arrange a potluck, or enjoy restaurant dine-in or takeout, savoring good food and company is always a welcome activity, especially on Mother’s Day.
- Dessert – perhaps your family enjoys a special dessert recipe that Mom can no longer make on her own. Gather in the kitchen to assist in the preparation. Making it a family event will keep this sweet tradition alive.
- Ice Cream – take a Sunday drive to Mom’s favorite ice cream stand. There’s just something about eating an ice cream that brings out the kid in all of us.
- Garden Stroll – plan a trip to a local park to enjoy the gorgeous flowers and bushes. Walk together or push Mom’s wheelchair during this lovely afternoon outing. If time permits, pack light refreshments to enjoy in the beautiful outdoor setting.
- Audiobooks – listen to a few chapters of an audiobook together before having a lively book club-style discussion. This type of activity engages the mind and strengthens bonds. And who knows, you may even learn something new about one another!
- Rain Date – in the event that there’s inclement weather on Mother’s Day, please turn to our post on rainy day senior activities for more inspiration.
Contact Us for In-Home Senior Care
Advanced Home Care Services understands the complexities involved with continuously caring for others. Coping with the stress of parent caregiving can be very difficult. That’s why we believe you, Mom, and your entire family will enjoy the many benefits of private duty care. Our home care services include companionship, light housekeeping, heavy chore services, shopping, and medication reminders, among others. A free in-home senior care consultation is just a phone call away, so please contact us today.